2016 is coming to an end! With the end of the year comes a new beginning and people are starting to think about their New Year’s resolutions. And of course, they’re searching for ideas and finding ways to keep them on Google.
iQuanti, a data-driven digital marketing company who works with a number of Fortune 500 companies, was able to help us out by giving us this data. It’s so interesting to see people’s behavior and what they are typing into the search engine. So here are the top 7 new year’s resolutions that were searched for by people in Los Angeles and some tips on how to stick to them!
If you’ve checked out my Instagram feed, you know this one is on my list every year. Many find it hard to find the time and money to travel. So here are some tips on how to travel more in 2017:
- Save your money – While many to choose to spend on luxuries at home, travelers often forego coffee and eating out just so they can spend the money on their next trip. It’s really all about your priorities and if it’s to travel, you should really re-think that shopping spree and spend it on your next flight.
- Watch for deals – There’s always flight deals and discounts going on as long as you keep an eye out! Check out Secret Flying or TravelPirates which always advertise great, amazing deals that make it affordable for anyone to travel. Also, keep your travel dates flexible so that you can get cheaper flights and hotel rooms.
- Earn travel points – Get a credit card that earns you points on your purchases to use for travel. The Points Guy can tell you which ones to get!
6. Spend less, save more
Everyone wants to save more money to be able to do the things they want to do! Some people want to travel, buy a house, pay for that dream wedding…there’s endless possibilities when you have the means to do so. Here are some tips on how to spend less and save more in 2017:
- Automate your savings – You can do this by setting up a way to transfer money into saving automatically. One way to do is to contribute to a 401k if this is available at your job or setting up an IRA. There are also investment apps like Acorns, which I use which transfers money over every time I spend money. It invests the money in funds so that it grows!
- Budget your money – It’s hard to see how much you’re spending and saving if you don’t have a budget. It’s also a great way to see where you’re spending too much so you can cut costs and spend less. This is also the best way to forecast your savings to see how long it will take you to get to a certain amount with your savings.
5. Read More
This was an interesting one on the list and I’m so happy about it! I love to read and there’s so many books on my reading list. But it’s hard to find the time to do so. Here are some tips that will help you read more in 2017:
- Bring your book or e-reader with you – There’s always some down time during the day, whether you commute to work, waiting for an appointment or having a cup of coffee. This precious time can be spent reading your current book but make sure you always have it or your e-reader with you. You can also download your books on your phone and read from there.
- Listen to books – This tip is especially for those who have a long commute. You can use the time to finish a book instead by listening to the audio version. You can try Audible for free for 30 days then it’s $15/month.
- Join a book club – Get motivated to read by joining a book club. You’ll have a deadline on when you’ll need to finish the book by and discuss it with the club. You may even make a few friends in the process.
4. New Hobbies
It looks like 2017 will be an adventurous one, with people searching for new hobbies as their New Year’s resolution. It’s always fun and exciting to experience new things! Here are some new hobbies that you might be interested in taking up next year:
- Home DIY Projects
- Learn a new language
- And there’s a billion more!
3. Live Life to the Fullest
This resolution is definitely a great one, but it’s especially hard to quantify. It’s more personal on what someone’s perspective is on living life to the fullest. Here are some steps that will help you do this in 2017:
- Know yourself – What are the things you need to do in this lifetime to feel fulfilled? What are the things that you will regret not doing? Spend some time with yourself to figure this out so that you can create some goals and a plan to know what this means to you.
- Create your bucket list – Once you know what the things are that you need to do to live life to the fullest, it’s time to create that bucket list. It may include traveling to every country in the world, volunteering in Africa, climbing the seven highest mountains, etc. Keep the list somewhere where you can see it every day to keep yourself inspired and motivated.
- Have a game plan – Once you’ve decided which goals to pursue, you’ll need to find a way to make it happen. Plan out how much money and time it’s going to take. Keep it realistic and achievable!
2. Get Organized
This one is a tough one for everybody! It’s so hard to get organized especially when you’re busy. It’s also another thing to commit to it after you get organized, how do you keep it up? Here are some tips to get organized in 2017:
- Get rid of all your junk – It’s time to start making space in your home and in your life! If you haven’t read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, I highly recommend it. Marie Kondo teaches you how to get rid of all the stuff in you life that doesn’t “spark joy.”
- Keep everything in its place – Once you get rid of all the things you don’t need, you can find a proper place for everything. Marie Kondo’s book will also teach you how to organize everything in every part of your home.
- Make schedules and deadlines – Get organized with your time. You’ll also be able to see where you’re spending your time and what you need to cut, so you can find the time to do the things that you love.
1. Get Healthy
Over a million people searched this from January to October in 2016! So it looks like everyone wants to get healthy with this being the top searched New Year’s resolution. It can be really tough to start getting healthy and even tougher to maintain it. Here are some tips on how to get healthy in 2017:
- Plan your exercise schedule – It’s hard enough to work out consistently and even more so when you don’t plan it out in advance. Our busy lifestyle often gets in the way, so make the extra step to commit to your fitness by blocking out times in your calendar for your workout.
- Practice meal prep – When you prep your meals in advance, you tend to eat healthier. It also saves time and money when you meal prep. Get ideas and tips on meal prep from the Daily Burn.
- Snack healthy – If you love to snack like I do, make it a healthy one! Instead of reaching for chips or candy bars, opt for nuts, dried fruit, vegetables, protein bars, popcorn, rye toast, soy crisps, or oatmeal!